Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My son took summer school and is still being retained in the second grade; why?


Hi, my son was retained in the second grade. He passed all of his classes, but failed reading with a 66 average. Summer school was recommended by his teacher and I signed him up and he went this summer. His summer school teacher sent a weekly report card home for me to see his progress and sign, his first week he made a 85, second week 90, third week 81, and the fourth and final week he made a 94. His summer school average was a 87.5. After summer school was over I called his school to see if he had been promoted and the principle said that they didn't receive a folder for him. I waited another two weeks and called again and still no answer to my question. After calling many other times and going to the school, the principle finally got back to me and said that my son would be retained. When I asked him why, he said my son didn't meet the minimum requirements for the year to pass to the third grade. I asked him what was summer school for and he said "Well he just didn't do well enough to be promoted." School starts on Tuesday 8/24/2010 and I don't know what to do. I believe my child will do fine in the third grade if given the chance. Can someone help me? My son was so upset and so was I. He couldn't understand why he worked his butt off and missed going to his grandmother's in east Texas to do what was needed to be promoted to the next grade and he is still retained. We live in Fort Worth, Texas and he goes to Crowley ISD. I appreciate any advice. The summer school packet I signed stated " If a student is needing summer school for promotion, he/she must attend 18 out 20 days. Promotion is then determined by his/her school principle." The problem is that if my son didn't have the opportunity for promotion, then why is is stated. Now I have been told that the school doesn't promote 1st or 2nd graders even if they pass summer school. Do you get the same interpretation that the opportunity for promotion was offered from the statements above? I did my job at home as a single parent of three (from a previous marriage) and made sure his work was correct and turned in on time. Also if he fail due to not taking his class serious, he had his punishment by having to miss most of his summer vacation to attend summer school. For all I know it could be discrimination. The other schools in the same district promote under this program. Why is this the only school that doesn't, and why am I the only parent having problems with no kids promoted.
Primary & Secondary Education - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would fight the system, and honestly threaten to sue. When my cousin was in first grade, the teacher wanted to hold her back, because she had cancer... Yeah, she didn't get the best grades, but she was totally fine to move on to the next grade. Well, guess what? My aunt hassled the school and they allowed my cousin to enter second grade. It really sucks that they did this to both you and your son. Considering that school starts on Tuesday, they have locked you in a very tight position. Why they chose not to tell you about this sooner, is very irresponsible of them. It's very shameful and pathetic. With the grade your son got in summer school, he is more than qualified to enter the third grade. I wish you the best of luck. I'm really sorry about your situation. :(
2 :
i would go to the next level of authority after the principal, the school board. if that doesn't work, go to the next position of authority and so on. you can also file a legal complaint if needed.
3 :
Definitely don't let it go, keep hassling the system until they realize their error. Your son is more than qualified to move on to the next grade. Obviously the principal isn't going to do anything, so take it to the next up.
4 :
Something's not right here. If he had done worse in summer school, the school's stance would be understandable--but an 87 is excellent. Talk with the dean of the school district. Make some waves. This shouldn't be a problem.
5 :
93, So, let me get this straight... Because you can't instill a proper work ethic in your son [I assume his low grade was due to a failure to actually do the work as opposed to just being not-bright] a class above his ethic level has to suffer? Perhaps you should remedy the problem at home? There is no excuse for a normal boy to be getting such a low score in reading classes. To answer you, you can do nothing. Unless your son is being held back and you think it is due to discrimination on a religious, racial or gender issue; however you do not seem to feel this is true. Maybe going back will teach him that he actually needs to put effort into things like a big boy. people above- File a legal complaint? LOL. What about? No law is being broken. 93 93/93
6 :
sue or transfer schools
7 :
I notice you didn't say that they actually told you that if he went to summer school and did well that he would be allowed to go to the third grade. Did they? They may have suggested it only so that he didn't get worse over the summer so that he could pass when he came back.
8 :
Let him re-peat the 2rd grade, it will make him a better student in the long run. it is better to have him get A's and B's having re-peat of a grade than to think he can handle it in the next grade when he is failing getting F's and D's. It will not kill him to take a grade over.

Popular Posts