Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What else can i do to prepare me for law enforcement?


What else can i do to prepare me for law enforcement?
I am a 16 yr old high school student and I am an explorer, what else can I do to prepare me for law enforcement? Are there any classes that college will let high school students take courses? or any other things? Fort Worth Area, Texas
Law Enforcement & Police - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Internship at local police department.. Explorers don't learn paper work smarts and that is one main part of the job, to understand how the law enforcement works on papers. How courts work and so on.
2 :
Many of the larger police departments now require at least an associate's degree. However a bachelor's degree is much more desirable. My son-in-law graduated with a B.S. in Criminal Science from the University of North Florida and is now with the Jacksonville Florida Sheriff's Office. Having the bachelor's degree entitles him to an extra $ 200.00 per month. Good Luck and may St. Michael be with you.
3 :
Look at starting off in the jail to get your foot in the door while you are going to college. A CJ degree will do fine. I was in the military and I only have 36 credits. I wish I would have completed my degree while I was in but now I have to get my degree while I am working. Just keep your nose clean, watch your speed, watch who you hang out with, and keep your integrity... good luck and I will tell you that it is a ery promising career.
4 :
Create a file for yourself. Keep track of all things you have done law enforcement related. Ride alongs, volunteer work for the department you are an explorer at. Get a four year college degree in Law Enforcement. Talk to law enforcement officers learn from them. Ask them what happens during a law enforcement job interview. What questions are asked. That way when you apply for a law enforcement job it will not be that you saw an ad and applied and are doing it on a whim. You will be able to show them that you have prepared to be a police officer all of your life. That will impress them and get you hired.
5 :
Much of "wanting" to be a police officer is far different from actually being one. The job is probably 85% mental stress. I'm afraid there may not be any schooling to prepare you for that. Here's just one of many trick questions for you. Suppose your that police officer sitting in your car. I walk up to you and say, "wait right here, I want to get my gun". What do you do? Shoot me right there? Wait till I get the gun? Perhaps tackle me to the ground as I walk away? Many situations such as this are faced and it is only you that has to make instant decisions.
6 :
Most colleges and universities have criminal justice and law enforcement classes. I would recommend a bachelors degree if you can do it, Most states require that you be 21 to be a police officer anyways. If your close, Western Illinois University has a great program (shameless plug of my school...)

Popular Posts